Friday, July 11, 2008

Snakes and Snails and....well, you know.

Everyone is nosey these days.

No one is safe from voyeurism.

No one.

Not even the unborn.

It is bad enough that on every corner of the city I live in there are these dang cameras. They call them photo radars...to catch those dreaded red light runners...doing no good for speeders or other violaters. I'm sure there are other cameras for that, so that our highly skilled officers can sit a little longer at the QT enjoying their powdered donuts.

The other cameras I am referring to are what you see when you are watching the news and they pan over to some stationary view from high above a freeway...there you have it...a bird's eye view of whether or not traffic is moving or frozen, or maybe if OJ is fleeing in the Bronco.

Can I just admit that it drives me nuts how many bloody times a day I am captured on video.

Dude...I can't even drive through for a Frosty without it being on closed circuit television.

And when is someone going to learn to use these powers for good and not evil. (It's not like the cameras are there to make sure we get all of the fries we ordered. You always get the shaft in the drive through.)

By evil, I mean slapping a ticket on a poor unsuspecting maid. A mom of SEVEN going on eight children...so you know that she is a careful driver. You know that she is diligent about keeping close to the speed limit, not driving like a crazy person, and obeying the rules of the road. She is, after all, responsible for chauffering around so many little helpless lives.

So why is it, that in a mere moment of "I don't think I can stop in time, I'd better go for it" the blazing camera lights strike? Why is it that I had to be driving that route that day? Why is it that of course as soon as the flash goes off the maid admits to the friend on the phone that she thinks she just got a ticket. Why is it that I had to be on the phone? UGH! (All captured on film, by the way.)

Of course, just when you think you got away with it too, the ticket arrives via the good old postman. (Or badly coiffed postwoman...as is our case.) There are not one, but FOUR photos. FOUR! Oh, and it gets better, there is also a link where you can watch the offense online in real time on their stupid cameras, in case the photos were not enough.

Jerks.

Yep, big brother is watching. Big brother has his cameras placed in such a way that not even an unsuspecting, dear, sweet, innocent maid (wink) can avoid them entirely.

But hear this, I am one to seek counsel. I am one to listen to the masses. In fact, if I didn't hate to be photographed, I might even consider running for office. I am the one who asked the very peers that I respect so well what to do about this little situation.

You can only guess what I heard a lot of.

Yep.

"You can just ignore that ticket. The city has so many offenders that they can't keep up with it. In fact, if you didn't receive it certified mail, well, then how can they prove you got it?"

Sounded logical to me.

So the maid just kept on fluffing pillows as usual.

I mean after all, it was a $214.00 ticket. If it went away, chances are it would, that money would be at least a tank of gas, right?

Well a wise Proverbial man once uttered..."A companion of fools suffers harm."

Hence, no public office for me. Apparently my lobbyists are fools. Apparently, I cannot depend on those who elected me to the office of ticket trasher. And it is dually noted that I am not going to be saving the $214.00.

Why, you ask?

Oh, let me tell you. :)

Being that I am the knocked up maid, I am often tired. My teenager was away at camp and so the family was a little more hectic than usual. I hadn't been able to sleep much, and of course when the mouse is away, the Maid worries. So I was extra tired.

Wednesday rolled around and I conjured up a little scheme. My dear Butler would take the tribe of our hillbilly Hyatt to church...and I would get a break. No kids for almost 3 hours. Did you hear the pin drop? Silence...for THREE hours.

I could sleep, I could pee in peace, I could do whatever I wanted...for THREE hours.

So just as the troops headed out, the doorbell rang. No doubt someone forgot a baby bottle, or diapers or something important for church, like a Bible. Yep...I ignored it for a minute thinking that they would use their key. They dinged and donged again...apparently a child had been sent to the door, sans key.

I grudgingly got up...waddled to the front door and without a keyhole peek, swung - it - open.

He: "Becky?
Me: "Yes."

He: "I have a photo radar ticket for you."
Me: (Pseudo disbelief and half-waiting to be arrested) "A photo radar ticket? I had no idea." (Liar - maybe I'm cut out for public office after all.)
He: "Sorry about that, bad end to the day, huh?"
Me: "Oh, well...no problem."

Door shuts. I think I even thanked him. ??

Do you realize how sneaky these people are?

Do you realize that this guy stood there totally dressed in denim and a t-shirt looking to be some guy that actually might have known me and his appearance totally didn't send a red flag?

Do you realize that had Tommy Lee Jones been decked out in detective garb, Fugitive style, on my front porch that I may have thought faster and said, "No, I don't know any Becky."

Dang Dept of Transportation.

They are getting smart. In fact, they may have been taking lessons from Sherrif Joe...had I been an illegal alien, I'm pretty sure I would have taken Joe's bait too.

Yep, I have been made a fool of. I have been served with the dang photo radar ticket, in person.

Worse than that, the guy who served me was nice. He even apologized. File this one under the category of "No one to be mad at but myself." Sigh.

My $214.00 ticket will now cost me an additional $35.00 in personal service fees.

And where are my lobbyists now? Where are those who told me to ignore it? Where? I want to know. Because I am feeling a little like a trapped Bill Clinton right now...

"I did not run through that light ... no sir"

Oh wait, define "Red light?"

Busted, man.

Completely busted.

I want you to know that as my first order of business as your elected Maid, I intend to abolish all security cameras not attached to a bank or in a prison somewhere.

I should be able to run the light on my way to get a frosty without being captured on video.

And you know who else deserves exemption?

The unborn.

My poor unborn child was completely violated this week via ultrasound.

It wasn't enough that we saw the alien head and the huge cheekbones, oh, and the big nose. Yep...chipmunk face was fine. We had to move on to the organs...scoping them out one by one. And even after we had determined that the child was healthy...and it declared it had had enough...(translation: squirming all over and curling legs to avoid crotch shot)...Big brother would not stop. (Of course, I hired Big brother to come to my home and do this...and he, being good at what he does would not leave until we could tell which public restroom video camera this child would someday be captured on.)

Yep...the big eye in the sky...the intruding Orwell -esque probe...went right for the goodies.

And there were goodies.

Boy goodies.

Someday in the not too distant future, the Maid and Butler, will be teaching this boy of ours how to avoid all of the photo radar cameras in the city. I know, touching isn't it.

Hey, we are all about leaving a legacy.

The red-light running, ticket ignoring, totally served and busted, ripe with boy - Maid

15 comments:

Chris H said...

I hate hate hate those bloody cameras too!!!! Only been 'caught' once luckily. Love love love the ultra sounds though... congrats on the impending arrival of a baby with 'boy goodies' !!!

Betty said...

This is hilarious! Sorry to be laughing at you, but it´s something I could have done. It´s a good thing they don´t have those cameras down here. ´Cause they would be flashing a lot at me... :)
Congrats on having a boy!

Marcy Massura said...

Oh sweetie...I am so so sorry the universe has turned on you this week. I can't believe they actually SERVE tickets like that. Wow. I will come over today and occupy all your children with cleaning the house and then we will all sit down and write poems about how much we love our mommy...while you run off to the day spa for a facial, reflexology and some green tea. Be sure to notice the banner on your garage door when you come home with all their paint hand prints and #1 MOM!
:)

for a different kind of girl said...

I hate those cameras. I became such a paranoid drivers when they were put up here, but so many people fought them, and were getting tickets for non-offenses, that within weeks of the city blatantly saying they were installing them as a money making initiative and then dropping TONS of money on the purchase and installation of them, they were turned off and have been off for more than a year. It's creepy enough were we show up.

bunchofbull-ers! said...

WOOOOO-HOOOOOO...boy, oh boy! I am so happy for the news of a healthy baby boy. Still thinking Kelly kinda goes with your 'theme' for names....wink, wink!!
Sorry about those darn cameras. And the prize (frosty) sits right after the cameras!! Right next to Starbucks as a matter of fact. That was my last stop the day we moved outta town.
Congrats.
And blessings.

The Bullers

April said...

Congrats on your new little penis. And you were so sure it was girl! I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Conrats on the next Spanko boy! How exciting! O.k...were you by any chance at the 83rd/Union Hills light? I was going through that intersection, on my cell phone,turning east and got photo radared....I was sure I would be receiving a ticket with my phone to my face but...nothing has come....whew......!

Love ya girl--get your rest and keep writing.

Malinda

Bogart said...

Congrats on the boy...I guess that if you pop enough out you can end up with a good mix, right!

And the ticket thing...well, as I have heard others say, the only thing you did wrong was get caught...*

*I do not necessarily agree with said comments, just passing them along for passing sake.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Congratulations! And I just gave you a blog award...go to my site to claim it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And... condolences. You are a hoot. I've got an award for ya on my blog!

Happy Mommy said...

Oh I love Babies! I love baby boys because I have two of them and I love baby girls too!
I am happy for you any names yet?

Sorry about your ticket!

Roland Hulme said...

Ugh. Those photo cameras are AWFUL.

When I started driving, you could get away with ignoring the tickets. These days, with computers, they're on you like rugby players on a free bar.

Anywhooo. Thanks for your lovely message on my blog and I hope your little boy is cooking well and looking forward to seeing the world for himself!

Unknown said...

ok, i love your post....great job and CONGRATS on the baby boy!

Rick said...

Ouch! $214! That's one expensive traffic ticket. Too bad you hadn't gone to Glamour Shots right before, then maybe the photos could have been something suitable for framing.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

kimmy said...

Those cameras are annoying and congrats on the expected arrival of your son!

Kimmy