Sunday, April 27, 2008

Spiritually Gifted or Special Ed?

Tonight at church our Pastor touched on the subject of Spiritual gifts, and got me thinking about it once again. He reiterated that our Spiritual gifting would be only one of the seven gifts. (Teaching, Exhortation, Giving, Serving, Mercy, Prophecy, or Leadership)

At times our gift has a manifestation of other gifting types come along side or complement it, but we do, in fact, according to God's word have only one Spiritual gift.

Our Pastor has done in depth teaching on this, which I could refer to, but the truth is that even the in-depth teaching has left me with questions. I really am not quite sure what my gift is. Many of you reading this know me personally and might say you could figure it out, but not many of you would disagree. Some have said service, some have said giving, and the black/white tell it like it is part of me elicits the opinion that I am a prophecy gal.

It is an enigma to me and it makes me feel like the kid who really doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up. I can't do that. I need to know. I have to live with purpose...as I am getting up there in years and I need to focus on how God has created me and to know the direction in which He is leading me. How can I "Be all that I can be" (without joining the Army) if I don't know what my divine present is?

I thought by looking at my parenting style I could figure it out. But nope...just more questions. Here is an example of why I know I don't have the following gifts:

Mercy:

Kid: "Mom, she hit me."
My response: "Well hit her back...and whoever is alive when we get home, wins."
Nope, not a mercy.

Leadership:
Spouse: "Honey, where do you want to go for dinner?"
My reply: "I dunno...where do you want to go?"
Definitely not a leader.

Teaching:
Kid: "Mom, I need help with my math."
Me: "You do this, this, then this. Got it?"
Kid: "Why did you do it like that?"
Me: "Because. I don't know? Ask your dad."
Um, I'd say, not a teacher.

Giving:
Kid: "Mom, can I have a bite of your ice cream."
Me: "Uh, no, I don't think so! It's the last one! Go away. And stop crying."
I know, not a giver...that is why I have never reached my goal weight.

Service:
Me: "I'm here for my volunteer shift at the cake walk."
Mrs. SC: "Oh, we only have 3 cakes left, but okay."
Me: Note to self - Always volunteer for the last time slot, so your "hour of service" is about 15 minutes.
(Seriously had that conversation with myself...can't be a service girl.)

Prophecy: Nope, can't even explain that one to myself.

Exhortation:
Friend: "Does this dress make me look fat?"
Me: "Pretty much, and the color makes you look like you have a liver problem too."
(That also backs up the "not a mercy" theory.)

That got me thinking of the "worldly" gifts that I do have. I KNOW what those are. I have mastered some of them and am dilligently working on others. So, I wanted to share with you what exactly, I feel, that I have been gifted with. (If you are thinking this is where "The Maid" begins to wax philosophical, think again. These are just a few fresh towels and a pillow mint for your enjoyment...no changing sheets or scrubbing bathrooms here.)

The "not so spiritual" gifts of your maid:

1) Whining.

2) Retaining Water.

3) Guilt. (Oh, yeah baby, I've got a Master's degree in this one, just ask my teenager.)

4) Housework evasion. (Even "the maid" puts out the "Do not disturb" sign from time to time.)

5) Channel surfing. (Been known to watch Dr. Phil, Paula Deen, A Baby Story, and CNN simultaneously without missing a "How's that workin' for ya?")

6) Child Neglect: (I know you just got home from school, but shhh, the Polygamists are on tv again!)

7) Sleeping In.

8) Hair plucking while driving. (Curious now, aren't you?)

9) Sarcasm. (Ph D. My initials are even "B.S.")

10) Chicktionary. (3,700,000 current high score! Woo hoo! I am the queen of dumb word games, just ask my friend Shannon.)

11) Snoring. (My husband says I dabble in this, I highly doubt it.)

12) Pillow stealing and blanket theft.

13) Getting the hair in my food. (See "dining out" post.)

14) Ignoring the growing hair on my legs. (Hair is a big deal to me, see #8 and #13.)

15) Manipulation. (Just ask my mom.)

16) Crying.

17) Self-pity.

18) Shoe hoarding.

19) Interrogation. (Ask my hubby. Sometimes our phone conversations sound like a game of twenty questions!)

20) Denial. (No, that couldn't be!)

21) Grosser than gross jokes.

22) Turning pain into laughter.

23) PPD. (Party Planning Disease)

24) Opinion sharing. ("Well if you ask me, it used to be called gossip.")

25) Accessorizing black wardrobe. (Years of practice.)

26) Excuse making.

27) Procrastination.

28) Paranoia. (Are you laughing at me right now?)

29) Insecurity. (I feel like you are laughing at me right now.)

30) Discernment. (You ARE laughing at me right now.)

Oh...and lastly, number 31) The grand poobah of all worldly gifts, WORRY. (And I do!)


There you have it. My resume. It is your insight into the maid. I am a mess. Disheveled uniform, un-stocked cart, lousy at hospital corners, and painfully unable to get the rooms cleaned and remember to hang up fresh towels! A beautiful mess. Fearfully and wonderfully made, and most certainly gifted, I just can't figure it out!

Thankfully, I put my trust in the Grand Hotel Manager, God Himself, who says to me often, "I have begun a good work in you, and I will be faithful to complete it."

Phfewww...for a minute, I thought I was stuck in the elevator of life with a bunch of dirty towels!

7 comments:

Sandra in Phx said...

Hey Beck!! You aren't the only one that can't figure out her spiritual gift...Like you I have several qualities that make me think one and then another. Glad to hear that I am not the only one!
BTW, you are absolutely FABULOUS at the PPD:) Everyone wants to come to one of Becky's parties!!

April said...

It is no wonder why we are friends Becky. Although if we had anymore in common we would be competitors. I don't know what my gift is either, but some people don't find out until they are really old. Like 40. :) And is it just me or do leadership, teaching and service all kind of sound like the same thing? So I choose leadership for my own gift because I like to be in charge and tell people what to do. But why do I keep hearing that small voice telling me that's not the way it works??

Kristen said...

Becky, either way, I think you're awesome. Your comment yesterday made my day, so you're definitely an encourager.

E+T=M5 said...

When you need it, you'll know it (your gift that is). You are gifted, I don't even have to tell you where...God uses us all. Even in the areas we aren't gifted in (see # 18). Enjoyed this blog...haven't had a lot of time to even read one in a while, let alone do anything else I need to (# 27?)

God bless...

bunchofbull-ers! said...

With you suffering from PPD and myself knowing first hand what that means....a completely extravagant, thought-filled, all-out, no holdin' back affair....I think that you should have a blog party.
And promise to make cream horns & chocolate covered strawberries!! Not that I like cream horns or anything ;O)

Bogart said...

There are many that hold, after a lot of research, that there are other gifts than the ones you mentioned...

I certainly don't want to poke your pastor, I don't know him, but it appears that there may be a few he might have overlooked...at least that is how I read it in seminary.

Amy Beth said...

OOOh I remember cream horns! Send me one!