Sunday, August 31, 2008

Give me the stage for a day...

I love music. I absolutely love it. I am also a lyric junkie. In fact, my teenager recently downloaded an application for me to apply to be on "Don't forget the lyrics," because after watching me master the lyrics from show after show (where, I might add, I have won millions of dollars from my living room)...he thought I should try it live. Well, this Maid is a little camera shy...and won't be signing up for any tv shows, but I really do know I could rock the show and win big! Just ask my son!

So the point that I am getting at is this: I think I have been ministered to by the Lord more through music in my life than through sermons. Even when I read God's word, I often encounter scriptures that have become familiar tunes and the tune kind of takes over. I actually find myself able to memorize verses of scripture more easily when set to music. (Probably lots of you are like that...I think that is pretty common.)

At some point in my life I want to write lyrics. I want to be the author of the music that inspires others and that ultimately God uses to bless people. I have written a couple of songs...or should I say God has written them through me (since I know the way that kind of writing often flows is a gift)...but I haven't been given the actual "music" to them. (One song was inspired by a friend who took the spotlight in Hollywood, and kind of let the Lord take a backseat to the glamorous life...and the other was inspired by the backlash we experienced as a result of leading our nephew to the Lord. It was kind of an "angry" rock song...with a positive message. Which kind of sounds ridiculous...but it was all about how we'd rather face persecution from people we love, and lose their love, than to fail the Lord's commandment to share His love.)

But let me tell you, if I could have written this song, I would have. And if I could be Natalie Grant for a day, and belt this one out, I would sing it to anyone who would listen!

Over the past few weeks, this song has blessed me. It really sums up what I have gone through this year. A mixture of what I know, what I feel, how I've acted, how I've failed, and the victory that is mine because my savior has promised that though I WILL stumble (not IF), He won't let me fall. Praise God! And how awesome it is of God to let another person (through music) remind me that I am not alone in this struggle. (And neither are any of you!)

Read this sweet bloggers...and then turn up your speakers, click the link below, and ENJOY!

I have been a wayward child,
I have acted out,
I have questioned sovereignty,
and had my share of doubts,


And though sometimes,
my prayers feel like they're bouncing off the sky,
the hand that holds me won't let me go,
and is the reason why:


I will stumble,
I will fall down,
But I will not be moved.
I will make mistakes,
I will face heartache,
But I will not be moved.


On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
I will not be moved.


Bitterness has plagued my heart,
many times before,
My life has been like broken glass,
and I have kept the score
of all my shattered dreams,
and though it seemed,
that I was far too gone,
my brokenness helped me to see,
it's grace I'm standing on.


I will stumble,
I will fall down,
But I will not be moved.
I will make mistakes,
I will face heartache,
But I will not be moved.


On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
I will not be moved.


And the chaos in my life,
has been a badge I've worn,
and though I have been torn,
I will not be moved.


I will make mistakes,
I will face heartache,
But I will not be moved.


On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand,
I will not be moved.

"I Will Not Be Moved." By Natalie Grant



If you have a comment to share about the song, the lyrics, the video, the content, whatever, please do. It is so awesome to hear that I am not stumbling through this crazy time in my life alone. I would love to pray for you! :)

The Maid

3 comments:

Roland Hulme said...

Hiya Maid! I was just dropping by to say hi! (Hey, that rhymes.)

I love country music, but ever since I lost my faith, I get really antsy when song with religious overtones come on. They make me feel really uncomfortable.

But some of the lyrics are really clever and self depricating, yet sincere. I can see why you like it so much.

Painted Dreamz, teaching special needs, and life... said...

What a coincidence!! I just made this my profile song on myspace!!! It gives me GOOSEBUMPS!!!! And sometimes I have to fight tears back when I hear it!!! I TOTALLY get what you are saying!!! Amy Grant's music lead me to the LORD way back then and I have not been the same since!! I wish I could write! I just stand back and watch Destinee and it gives me chills!!! No way that kid could write the lyric's she does without the Holy Spirit!!! HMMMM...maybe she could put music to your lyrics and give it a voice?? :)

Roland Hulme said...

You rock.