Monday, November 30, 2009

Content, more or less.

For as many years as I can remember, December always seemed to rush in and rush out.

There is always so much to do. So many things to make, buy, shop for, return, and lots of opportunities to gather together with friends and family.

This year, I have purposed not to spend my month trying to catch up on the things I need to do. This year, I have decided to shop early and less. To spend wisely, and less. To eat yummy things, and less. (Yes I will...just watch.)

I want less this year altogether.

Less stress,
less waste,
less junk,
less conflict,
less stuff,
less distraction,
less disappointment,
less rejection,
less mess,
less illness,
less clean up,
and most of all...
less chaos.

Which brings me to what I really want more of. Yep...I want more too.

More joy,
more sleep,
more planning,
more spontaneity, (I know...I am an enigma.)
more health,
more peace,
more order,
more sparkly lights,
more candles,
more focus,
more contentment,
and most of all
more Jesus.

I believe it can be done. I believe that even though I have already purchased gifts and wrapped them, and plan to only purchase a few more...we will have less this year. My kids will enjoy clothes and a few small things. And lots of family time and fellowship and they will get to give.

We will give treats, treasures, time, love, service, and ourselves. We will spend time doing the things we love with the people we love and we won't feel guilty about it.

We will probably say no to a few things. We will hopefully say yes to a lot more things.

We will purpose to show gratitude each day.

I believe that if we do anything this month, and we don't do it with love, it won't matter.
(I know that is from 1 Corinthians 13, but it still rings true.)

So, we will show love.

And if that is all we do, that one little thing, that one thing that we can only do with Christ who dwells in us, then we will be content with that.

"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need." (Phil 4:11-12)


So I think I will be content with a little less and a little more. And I will do it with love, because....
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Phil 4:13)

Happy December Blog Friends! May this season be blessed for you all and may you be content in any and every circumstance.

Sincerely,
The Maid, more or less.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!!!

Andrea said...

Great list!! I may try it myself ;)

Unknown said...

I love the lists, Becky. I'm with you for all of it. :) Have a wonderfully blessed Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm thinking I saw some pictures of you on facebook at April's bash... same last name as your e-mail at any rate... AND you are gOrgEoUs!!! Oh my goodness... send me some of that hair!