Sunday, June 1, 2008

Just hold it...and bring the hand sanitizer

There are, invariably, three types of people in this world.

1) The fearless public restroom user.

2) The phobic public restroom user.

3) The anti-public restroom user.

**Person number one, who we shall call Pee-Mobile, does not mind using any public restroom, at any time, in any location.

This person does not check the stall first to make sure that there are no unsunken battleships in the toilet, or that it is even remotely clean. They are the ones who run in, take care of business, and run out, without ever pondering the unseen microbes that linger and could be hitching a ride on their backside until the next shower.

This person is an enigma to me. Pee-Mobile doesn't even carry hand sanitizer, isn't afraid to touch the flusher, the faucet, or the door handle when exiting the restroom, and certainly won't mind the absence of toilet seat covers. (I am having a panic attack just thinking about this person.) This is probably the same person that can base jump, ride scary roller coasters, or dive in a shark cage just for the fun of it. They go camping and don't bring a porta-potty or toilet paper...they may even wipe booty with tree bark. Pee-Mobiles are reckless and sometimes stupid, but on the upside live their lives without regrets. Although I am in awe of this person, I would never share a bag of popcorn with them. (EEEWWWW)

**Person number two, who I like to refer to as Sprint, is the one who is prepared for battle when reaching the public restroom. They do not like it in there, but they come cocked and ready to fire. They have a certain standard that the restroom must meet before they will even enter. In fact, you can recognize the Sprinter by how many stalls they peer into before entering. A line of 10 stalls may only have one acceptable potty. This person is looking for clean, dry, well-stocked, preferably odor-free, and even more preferably not recently used porcelain.

Sprint likes to bring along his/her own supplies. At any given time, he/she will have Purell alcohol gel or wipes, other hand washing supplies, and yes, even a travel sized pouch of toilet seat covers. (Oh, they do exist, trust me.) This dear person is likely to squat even with a seat cover, as added protection, and might be in such a hurry to get out of the place that he/she leaves a sprinkle on the seat.

A Sprinter is also the one who flushes with his/her shoe to avoid touching the flusher (if no auto flush is available) and who advances the paper towels with the elbow, and opens the restroom door upon exiting with a PAPER towel. (Of course this person will use the hand sanitizer after discarding the paper towel...maybe even more than once.) Depending on the state of the restroom, this person also has been known to hold his/her breath the entire duration of the restroom visit.

Although Sprints are somewhat phobic, they would still opt for public outings and just choose to come prepared. They may also be former boy/girl scouts and you can bet they probably keep a pretty clean house. Their kids get frequent doses of hand sanitizer, wipee wipe downs, and probably more than once daily baths.

**Person number three, the most cautious of them all, we will call No-Pee-A. This is the person who will never opt for public restroom usage. They limit their outings to short ones and do not stray far away from home. This is the person that admits that there is not enough hand sanitizer in the world to make them sit where strange butts have sat, and risk publicly mingling personal fluids. No-Pee-A would also admit that they have peed themselves on more than one occasion to avoid a public restroom debacle.

This is the person who gags when changing a diaper, wears gloves to clean their home toilets, and uses Clorox bleach by the truckload. In fact, ironically, this person is probably more prone to illness because of the killing of all of the good bacteria throughout his/her lifetime. No-Pee-A has also probably spent a kings ransom on antibiotics for all of his/her urinary tract infections that stemmed from "holding it."

No-Pee-A, contrary to popular belief, is not crazy. In fact, I think the further you read on in this article, you may decide to "Just Hold It."

***

With the above in mind, please read the following summary of the reasons that these personalities may have developed. Just know that you may feel you need a shower after reading this blog.

1) Automatic flushers malfunction.

* We have all had this happen, I suppose. You get your seat cover perfectly aligned on the seat, maybe even two, and when you turn around, assume the position and commence to squat, the auto flush goes off. Your butt hits the seat (gag) right as the covers are dragged into the water. Sigh.

* You are carefully placed atop the covers, making quick work of your business, when the auto flush goes off while you are still mid-stream. Of course this is no low-flow toilet kind of flush. This is the Boeing 747 flush that will, if need be, suck a small animal down the drain. This is the one that uses such a powerful spray that your germa-phobic bottom gets the crop dusting of public restroom toilet water as you are trying to quickly eject from said seat. This one might put an end to public outing, as you feel you must find the nearest Clorox wipes, if not head home to shower.

2) Public restroom toilet paper is from the devil.

* This sorry excuse for toilet paper is tightly wound and won't even tear off one square at a time. This roll often takes two hands to just get that coveted 18 inches of one ply paper.

* This roll of public restroom paper is off the holder and has been, no doubt, on the floor. (I just threw up in my mouth.) God only knows whose hands or more have touched this roll, which you are expected to dab all over your personal "produce department."

* Lastly, this roll is so thin, that as you pull the paper off the roll, you notice holes in the paper. A little like Swiss cheese. This paper is definitely not "quilted" and most certainly is considered a half a ply. No amount of this paper will make it equal regular paper. It will always feel like computer paper as you try to avoid a paper cut to the promised land.

3) The sink. Yep, the glorious washing place, not.

* You all know THIS sink. It is the one that appears to have had a small child bathing in it because there is water everywhere. In fact, no place to set your purse as you wash up, and once you begin to wash...you realize that it is spraying so powerfully that you exit the bathroom with water marks from chin to crotch. Thankfully, though it was a pressure washer because there was inevitably, no soap.

* This sink is the one that has a hot and cold button. One on each side. They do not work together. You get hot or cold. In fact, when faced with that choice, we all would rather suffer third degree burns. Another perk at this faucet is that the dumb thing has to be held down with one hand while you wash the other. Yep, that is convenient. Let me hold onto, for a prolonged period of time, the slimy, wet faucet that all the other public pee-ers touched. This is the sink that does absolutely no good without hand sanitizer. This is why women go to the potty in groups...one person has to hold the faucet down with a paper towel. Got it?

* All other sinks fit into one category, clean or not? Nothing more pleasurable than having successfully peed, flushed, and fled...only to find a filthy sink with several of Cher's long black hairs in them. Why is that? Why is it that the only stray hair in a public bathroom sink is 8 feet long and black? (I think we should lobby the legislature for mandatory hair net usage in public restrooms.)

4) The hand drying mechanism.

* The blow dryer is, in my opinion, like having a sick child cough into your hands. The recycled restroom air that it is blowing all over your "wet" hands, has to be the most disgusting invention. (Next to the one piece revolving cloth drying towel of the 70's.) Even if you don't mind the dirty air blowing on you, lingering in a place that smells of other people's junk is not for me. (I don't care how many air fresheners they try to disguise it with!)

* The automatic paper towel dispenser. You are supposed to not have to touch it. You end up having to touch 10 buttons all over the thing to find out how to manually advance the towels. By the time you score your paper towels, you need to rewash.

* The "pull with two hands" towels. Oh yep. These are a hoot. These are the ones that never tear off correctly, get jammed in the dispenser, and must be pulled on simultaneously by both hands strategically placed on the half inch of towel that is sticking out of the machine. Dude...makes me want to use my shirt.

***

So, my friends, if you are not a No-Pee-A, then you more than likely have experienced an auto-flush failure, a can't spare a square dispenser, the "Old Faithful" spray of an auto sink, or the blowing of hot, yucky air onto your flesh. Don't try to reach for my popcorn.

I'm telling ya...I think I will just hold it.

(And I do, until that four year old decides she needs to go...all I can say is....
"Please don't touch anything!") As I reach for my purell.

What kind of tinkler are you?


15 comments:

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Mwahhahahahahahaha Love it... I am a #2 tinckler... but have never expirienced the autoflush... are we really that backward over here... where the hell are you???

Oh btw...thanx for dropping by my blog... Always good to meet new bloggers!!!

chandy said...

I hope I'm still allowed to visit your blog, but...I'm totally a Pee-Mobile. And the thing is, if everybody would just get over it, there wouldn't be pee on the seat from the butt-dangling hoverers that can't hit the mark!

Betty said...

hahaha....great post! Depending on which country I`m in, I change from a Nr. 2 to 3. You should see the public restrooms in Paraguay....you turn into a Nr. 3 soooo fast!

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO!!!

I am a No-Pee-A that has had to resort to becoming a Sprint at times. Let me tell you, a kidney stone will do that to you! Once you've had one, you never want to have one again!!!

However, as a fairly new Sprinter, there is some information missing in your post... such as the fact that, statistically, the toilet closest to the door is the cleanest, while the toilet farthest from the door the dirtiest.

Also, women routinely place their purses on the floor in the stalls if there is not a hook available... Not me! If I have to, I will hold my purse by the strap in my teeth!

And when people come to my house and deposit their purse on my kitchen counter or table I have to calmly go to my happy place and pray that they are not the type to put their purses on public restroom floors and I move their purse while feigning needing the space for other things... and whip out the clorox wipes.

And so you know, I once held it too long on an airplane and about died waiting to get into that tiny space they call a restroom... I was so desperate to go that I was unable to successfully hover and ended up falling on to a pee sprayed toilet. I had seen the man who exited before me... all I knew was he was very tall and black. I left that restroom and went up and down the aisles until I found him and then I stood and stared at him while I figured out if I needed to see a doctor as soon as the plane landed. He was a nicely dressed professional type and I decided I was probably okay. I never did say anything to him and I'm sure he wondered why this white woman was standing before him and giving him the once, twice and third time over before finally turning away.

It isn't any wonder that I dream of being trapped in public restrooms.

bunchofbull-ers! said...

I am SURE that you were thinking of me while describing the 'Sprinter'!!!! Though I would be a NO-GO, but with the muffins it's hard to avoid the dreaded public restrooms. I can say that I HATE 'em! Oh and the port-a-johns, UGHHHH! My 6 year-old started doing the pee-pee dance at soccer practice. The only thing there was the 'Portable Nasty'. She begged to enter that thing. But I would not have it. She held it home....ten minutes. Okay could be worse, but she danced & wiggles & fussed all the way there!

April said...

Hi, I'm Sprinter. Nice to meet you. I have an extra ltle bag in my purse with all the things you mentioned, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, baby wipes, and seat covers. And I was never a girl scout, so there. And I am totally with coffee bean on the purse thing. I have slung it over my neck and held it with my teeth. NO WAY would I EVER put it on the floor!

kristen s said...

Hey there, Becky, I'm a blog stalker of yours. I enjoyed your comments on April's blog so much, that I jumped over to read yours too. You crack me up!

Like April, I too am a Sprinter, and I'm proud to say that I've taught each of my kids to open the door with a paper towel. I've seen way too many Pee-Mobiles who don't even bother stopping at the sink station. **Shudder** I mean, c'mon people, at least ACT like you care about cleanliness!

Unfortunately, many of the people I'm talking about are probably out serving popcorn right now. The next time you're at the movies and you get one of those weird tasting bites of popcorn (you know, we've ALL been there, in the dark, and taken a bite that just didn't taste quite right...) you're going think of this post, dig out that hand sanitizer and squirt it in your mouth!

Happy Mommy said...

I am a sprinter, I get in and out fast but only after lining the pot with paper and yes still hovering over it. Very funny post!

Bogart said...

I think this has more aim at the female readership than the male...I don't even need a restroom to pee...just give me a bush or a tree, it is good for me!

j said...

Public restrooms? BAH! I'm fearless. I live in my home.

Jennifer

Chris H said...

I'm a Sprinter.... but if the rest room is revolving I become a No-Pee-A.... some places I just won't go! And as for the handbag issue, my handbag is a back-pack so it never has to be put down on a dirty floor or sink, it stays on my back! Brilliant... and it comes in handy for shopping too, tow hands free~!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am trying to get the word out about something and having a little contest on my blog. Come check it out!

kimmy said...

You crack me up girl! Thanks for putting a smile on my face first thing in the morning!

I definitely fall into the person #2 category. Foot flushing and all (and sanitizer)! Too funny!

Kimmy

Sweet and Salty said...

ROFL!!! I'm glad you wrote that because it made me laugh HARD!

I'm the careful guy who comes prepared for battle. My problem is that my little kids are fearless and I end up playing germ police after they're done because they don't seem to want to use anything; toilet seat cover, soap, water, etc...

I'm glad I visited!

Heidi said...

I am the phobic, I still got to go so I have no choice restroom user. The funny thing is that I have been taking a Body Pump class at the gym and realized how much easier it is to "hover" over the seat now that my leg muscles are working.