Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mother's Day "Blessings"

I wanted to share with you how my family blessed me on Mother's Day. There was no breakfast in bed, no diamond earrings, no spa treatments, no bubble bath, and not a single gift to "unwrap." But I am the wealthiest woman on this planet. I will go head to head with any of you, and will no doubt win!

First of all, as I shared earlier, my kids were sick. Barfy sick. Of course the three youngest ones were the ones to get this stuff. I have spent the latter half of my week preceeding Mother's Day cleaning up the DNA that has landed all over my house. (Thankfully, my husband is an awesome help with all of this and has done more than his share.)

Friday, I had a date with three of my kids to support their adventures at school. One child needed a cupcake delivery for her "student of the week" snack, one child had a kindergarten performance for moms, and one student was the "lead" boy in a classroom performance of Jumanji.

I woke up Friday to a sick baby being placed in my bed and within moments a projectile barf. Yep, that is an alarm clock you don't snooze through. Not the best start to the day, but it had to get better right? Never ask that question. It is tempting God. Do not say, "What next?" or anything along those lines. Because when you do, you pull your huge Suburban into sonic for a $3.00 breakfast burrito combo and cause $1500 dollars worth of damage to your car. Even the precious little carhop had to ask, "Did you know that your front hood and fender are all curled up?" Just give me my food. Oh, and sorry for the huge dent in your sign. (April, you can look for that on your morning Dr. Pepper run.)

Backtrack a minute back to the barf in my bed, and let me say it may have been the nausea from cleaning that up, but I began to feel sick myself. I broke the news to my kindergartener that I might miss "Muffins with Mom" because I was sick. She lovingly said, "That's okay" and proceeded to go into the other room to sob. Okay, so the guilt was laid thick and as I did her hair I vowed to show up even if I had to bring a barf bag. :) (We had a great time, paper hats, beaded pipe cleaner bracelets, juice boxes and all.)

Even after the barf and the morning accident, it was worth it.

So was the big hug and kiss and gigantic "thank you" from the student of the week. Who didn't get her cupcakes, but frosted cookies. I was told that all of the kids called those kind of cookies cupcakes anyway, so it was all good. (How precious is that.)

And lastly, I watched the hardwork of my fourth grade actor...costumed and all...as he acted the part of Peter. The class did a great job, and after the play his face lit up as he walked over to me and said, "You look beautiful mom." Oh, yeah. He can have whatever he wants for his birthday.

I won't pretend like the weekend wasn't hard, it was dreadful. Whining, crying, and acting just plain miserable, and the kids were worse. I wondered if the kiddos would at least snap out of it for Mother's Day.

I have to confess, although I wouldn't wish any of them ill, I loved all of the cuddle time with my sick babies. The youngest is so constantly on the go, that we needed the "hookup" to rekindle our sweet mother/son bond. I just love to hear him say, "I want mama." Sigh.

On Saturday, my hubby entertained the older kids at the pool down the street, which they all desperately needed, while I kept watch on my two youngest. Of course, once left alone, I hoped to get a nap, but unfortunately I encountered a lot more DNA, with no backup! (Good timing dad!)

Finally it was Mother's Day. Our plans were to have a late lunch and just hang out. My hubby made Prime Rib and potatoes, and made a salad...it was divine. He even cleaned up every last dish...and yelled at me each time I tried to help. In fact, amidst all of the cooking and cleaning, he made sure that I didn't clean up messy kids or change diapers. (I managed to only have to change one the whole day! Woo hoo!) A big shout out to the teenager too...he is more than helpful. I just adore him, boxers hanging out of his pants and all.

And the gifts? Well let me share those with you:

Hubby: Pink roses and a lovely card. He is always good about that. (Who cares that he got the roses at Costco and I was with him...tis the thought, eh?)

Oldest Son: Lots of kind words, "Happy Mother's Days," and a foot rub. (Don't tell his friends, they might not think of him in the same way!)

Oldest Daughter: A handmade flower...tissue paper creation in lots of pretty colors. And an unwavering, perfect servant's heart attitude all day!

Middle Son: Gigantic kisses from his big pouting lips!

Middle Daughter: A photo magnet lovingly made at school...and the most honest card I have ever received. I will try to scan it and share it with you all...but this is what it said:

*Front cover: Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you. You are a colorful star. You ROCK!
Inside left: You are the best mom. I want you to know that I don't really mean it when I
say "I hate you."
Inside right: I love you. You just really make me mad sometimes. Love, "Daughter"

This is the only child who won't need therapy someday...she will be conducting it...either that or writing for Hallmark.

Next Daughter: Homemade card that suggested that I should get out of bed earlier. (As if?)
And of course afforementioned paper hat and pipecleaner bracelet.

Youngest Daughter: Paper basket handmade at preschool filled with Hershey's kisses. (She wins. Only child to give me chocolate.) LOL

Baby Boy: As I said, he was sick, but he wanted me and even managed through his sick, sad self to give me the best cheesey smiles a couple of times!

You know, there are a few quotes that most sum up what I felt about my family this weekend and why I may have made it through it:

1) "Stop the world, I wanna get off." Unknown. (A momentary feeling. LOL)

2) "It is not a slight thing, when those who are so fresh from God, love us." Dickens, I believe.

3) "To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world." Snyder

4) "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:2

And lastly,

"Roses may say I love you, Orchids may enthrall, but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist, well honey that says it all!" (And what it doesn't say is said by crayola on a handmade card!)

Yep, I love them...they just make me mad sometimes.

Happy Mother's Day,
The Maid

8 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

I am so glad you are feeling better and your day seemed like it was wonderful! I love the hand made stuff from the kids!

Bogart said...

Sounds...well, um...wonderful. I think...except that whole vommit thing...but since I am not completely grossed out by it, that may mean I am getting ready for kids...well, not yet, you should be married for that, but maybe, just maybe, I am not that far away...and that is a good thing.

Kristen said...

Wow, what a special day it turned out to be. Sorry about all the barf...it's one of the finer things about being a mommy!

April said...

I love it that you could see all the blessings through the bad stuff. And your daughter's honest card was precious!! I always tell mine they are allowed to be mad, just never disrespectful. Good for her!

Marcy Massura said...

So wonderful...athough I feel a little sick just from reading this post!!! JK...hope you are ALL feeling well soon!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Sea Captain barf? Saw your comment @ I'm No Belle and laughed my ass off all the way over here!!

Hallie :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

The boob grab...but lower? Love it!!!

Hallie :)

Anonymous said...

No... I am not cleaning the basement. I am not doing anything but waiting for my husband to get home with some Pepto Bismal. And hanging on for LOST.

I loved reading about your Mother's Day. I also loved your profile page... so about those reproductive organs... I KID!!!

I only have 3 but they are very close in age and I remember well all the questions we got when they were small... like, "Don't you own a TV?" and, "Do you know what is causing that?" I once shut someone up but good by replying, "Yeah! It's great fun, you should try it some time!"

Hey... and about extreme home makeover or... heck, any extreme make over of anything... feel free to nominate me!