Monday, May 19, 2008

To be or not to be...my guest

Lately, I am in awe of Western Civilization...or the lack thereof.

I used to like to entertain. It has only been in the last couple of years that I have soured to this social outlet. It used to be my absolute joy to plan an event, make it beautiful and memorable, and to make my guests feel wonderful. I am no Martha Stewart, but I always try to outgive my guests...what they give me in time and attention, I try to meet or beat with thoughtfulness, attention to detail, and of course, yummy food.

I now officially can't stand to plan a party. No matter the type of party, I have come to the realization that my hopes and my expectations will always be dashed. People are rude. People are extremely selfish. And lastly, people can be just plain thoughtless. Why so mad, you ask? Oh, let me tell you.

I planned a joint birthday party for my son and daughter and while I don't expect everyone to drop everything and come running to one of my parties (I mean it was at a Pizza place for cryin' out loud), I do expect a reply.

As a host, you are expected to contribute:

* Food
* Drinks
* Birthday Cake
* Tokens (Should there be video games)
* Goody bag

As a guest, now this is the hard part...

* A REPLY. Hello people?

Get this, though, the RSVP is tricky...if you reply, it is generally polite if you show up.

I know, picky picky, but I like the little brats that I am paying money for and wasting good birthday cake on to actually be there. I don't care how many kids tug at me for more tokens, ask when we do cake, annoy me about opening presents, and bug me for one more goody bag...I just like the little jerks to show up.

We gave out 26 invitations (at school) for this party, and had 14 replies. Three of my son's friends were coming, and 8 or 9 of my daughters friends. Wanna know how many kids showed up? Four of my daughter's friends, and 1 (ONE) of my son's friends. (Thank heavens for our three faithful church families that are not included in that count, grandparents, and auntie...with all of us and all of our kids, it was still a big, fun group!)

So why did our peeps dog us so? Not sure. We shower everyday (usually) and we haven't been no-shows to any of their parties that I am aware of, so I don't get the poor turnout.

After pounding my brain for the answers, I have only come up with a few theories:

1) The rapture happened and I missed it.
2) The parents were in an alcoholic stupor and forgot to drag said kid to the party.
3) The daughters friends had all just watched "Mean Girls" and decided to pull a fast one.
4) There is a secret conspiracy to botch birthday party attendance, and I missed the memo.
5) The dog ate their invitation. (And they don't even have a dog.)
6) Almost the whole lot of invitation wielding second and fourth graders were abducted by aliens.
7) They just don't like us. (Possible, but c'mon not likely. We are great.)
8) It was their day to wash their hair.
9) The kids woke up that day and said, "Mommy, I'd rather clean house today. Can we skip the birthday party?"
10) People are just plain selfish and rude.

So obviously you all know which theory I am leaning towards.

I think life gets busy, people overcommit (or don't commit at all) and just decide to "skip" your event. Not thinking about the people behind the invitation. Not thinking about the money and the love that goes into "treating" your friends to a party.

I know for the most part that it is not about the gifts...because probably 90% of the time, we advertise "no gifts" on the invitations themselves so that people will come and celebrate with us and not feel pressure.

I have always felt like it was an honor to be invited to a party, any kind of party, or event. It means that the host thought of you, wanted you to share in it, and was spending time and money on entertaining you. (There are exceptions to this, however, if you over-invite people to what have come to be known as "checkbook parties" i.e. Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Jewelry, Candles, whatever...without having a social relationship with them outside of that...well, I think that is different. And borders on rude, in my opinion.)

Quick disclaimer: Within the last five years, I have made it a point to typically only try to invite people to "checkbook parties" that I have had over socially for other things. If you receive an invite from me, it is genuine...and I have had a policy of limiting myself (and thus my friends) to one or two of such parties per year for the last five years. Not only that, but I like to do it up for you all...make it more than chips and dip...really treat you special. I have always excused RSVP rudeness with those types of parties because they are not considered genuine invites by most people.

My mind has changed. A simple child's birthday party has proven to me that people either can't read, don't speak French, or just don't care.

"Repondez s'il vous plait" simply means people...respond please.

If you are coming, or if you are not coming...R.S.V.P.

If you are undecided, figure it out. I know you are waiting for a better offer, but there ain't one coming...just commit already. I want to know how much overpriced birthday loot-bag crap to buy for your spoiled, overstimulated little twerp, mmmmkay?

*Disclaimer: Lest you think I am a hypocrite, I admit I have been known to botch the RSVP myself a few times over the years, for that...I am sorry. I will gladly lead the 12 step program for all of us at the local "Y" ... but knowing you, you wouldn't show up anyway.

Oh, and for those of you who said you were coming and didn't...I gave away your loot bags. Chew on that one, party delinquent.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I wish I could rant and rave so eloquently!!

Really, I do.

As in, consider this my R.S.V.P. to that other class you plan on giving..

How to Ruthlessly Belittle Those Who Have Scorned You

But, let's send out the R.S.V.P.'s with some real flair.

Include a mini-taser that attaches itself to the addressee the moment they open it, and refuses to let loose until they call you confirming they will be there. THEN, the invitation also has to be indestructible, so that the moment those people don't call the morning of said shindig to confirm YET AGAIN that they are attending, you can hit a button, it will track them down, and tase them again!

YEAH BABY!

Ok, I tend to get a little deranged first thing in the morning. My bad!

Have a great day!

Marcy Massura said...

Whaaaaaaa? I can not believe that people who said they were coming did not come. That is worst than the ones who didn't even reply I think. I would call the people who didn't show and ask them where the heck they were. I would be totally pissed.....however once I had a car load of kids show up for a party who weren't even officially invited. Talk about a gift bag scramble.....I feel for you though. I am sure it was still a fun time.....but man I would be SO MAD

kimmy said...

That is so annoying! I know it is so frustrating to go through all that planning and have people be so rude!

I say, don't invite them next time!

Kimmy

Anonymous said...

This cracked me up! So been there! In fact, there are two parties in our history of parties where we invited EVERYONE our daughter wanted to come to her party because we'd run into the problem of people not being able to come and/or not showing when they said they would come. AND... they ALL came!!! One was a SLUMBER PARTY and our house was BURSTING and it was one of the LONGEST nights of my life... EVER. And the other was her Sweet Sixteen. We could not move in our house. It was crazy!!! The party the year before? 2 kids. Ugh!!! So frustrating.

Bahama Shores Mama said...

I hate the whole kid party invite thing!

Our family rule is if we haven't had their family over for dinner or hung out as a family ~ they aren't invited. Exceptions: 5 yr. , 10 yr. party and will be for the 16 yr,party. We also don't go to parties if I'm not close friends with the family. We RSVP right away. I feel like we get so many invites (with 4 kids) we could be attending a classmate or teammates party every weekend!
And don't you love the ones who want to bring all the siblings? Again, we have 4 and would never presume!
Thanks for making me laugh on the subject and confirming my rules should be kept for our family sanity.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I admit, I need a better RSVP system. I'll drag my feet, forgetting to ask my husband's opinion or check my calendar, then will realize the date has passed.

That is why I am a HUGE fan of the Evite. Now that gets my goat...people not being able to RSVP on the computer. And they even send a reminder a few days before!!! "Your response is: have not replied yet." Hint. Hint.

I've finally assumed that no RSVP is a NO I'm not attending. Because they never show up anyway. I'm learning...slowly...

Bogart said...

Wedding planners say that 20-30% of the people who say they will come, won't show.

Crazy, eh?

April said...

The RSVP has definitely gone the way of the dinosaur. I always try, even if it's a no, because I know how annoyed I get when people just don't bother. It's rude!

Happy Mommy said...

I hate when people say they are coming and then don't! I hope the party was great! I love parties and if you invite me I will come and I will RSVP!
I never understand why people think an RSVP date is optional, I want to know if you are coming or not...

chandy said...

I just love it when inviters put an email addy I can RSVP to. I have a major phone phobia, so it's an easy cop-out for a weirdo like me.

Brenda said...

Becky, you crack me up and even convict me slightly as I ran to rsvp 6 days late for a wedding invite!! You are so right on, girl.
PS...laughed so hard about the action figure in the shower! I need more time to read and catch up on my blog buddies!! Thanks for making me laugh!

bunchofbull-ers! said...

Ummmm, HELLLLLO, where was my invite?!!! Just kiddin'. But I do know that Becky-Homecky can THROW a party....for sure! Sorry the turn out was crappy. We have some memories from Peter Piper don't we?! I miss that place....nothing like sweet sauce on cardboard-like crust!
And yes, jus shake yer head yes!!

Sandra in Phx said...

Becky, I am sad to see you say you don't like to plan parties anymore. You throw the BEST parties...rivaling Martha Stewart for sure!
Sorry for the lack of attendance for the birthday party though.