Thursday, May 8, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...part one: Smells.

I was thinking today as I was kissing my little man (17 months old now) how much I love the smell of his hair when he has had a bath. It got me wondering what some of my other most favorite things are, so here are my top 25 favorite smells:

25) The smell of rain, before, during or after a storm. (More specifically, wet pavement.)

24) The smell of freshly cut lemons or oranges.

23) The smell of Subway baked bread...it never tastes as good as it smells, though.

22) Of course, cookies baking in the oven, duh.

21) The ocean. I know it is a somewhat salty, fishy smell, but it is glorious.

20) The smell of freshly shampooed kids hair.

19) The smell of my husband's cologne that lingers in our bathroom, even when he is gone.

18) As much as I hate to admit it, the smell of freshly washed laundry. (Laundry 'tis the thorn in my flesh, I'm convinced.)

17) The smell of waffle cones baking in an ice cream shop. (Not that I am a food addict or anything.)

16) The smell of new. New car, new carpet, new house, we even went to a new movie theater and it smelled so fresh and new, that I didn't even want to eat popcorn.

15) The smell of a newborn baby, a clean little newborn baby. Mainly the sweet little head.

14) The smell of bleach after just mopping the floors, preferably after hubby just mopped the floors. :)

13) The smell of freshly brushed teeth...love the goodnight kisses from kids who have just brushed, with toothpaste! (As moms we all know that we have to specify...with toothpaste!)

12) The smells of Christmas.

11) Garlic is a beautiful but odd smell, in the pan 'tis lovely, on my hubbies breath, not so much.

10) I love the smell of my Burt's Bees minty lipgloss. It smells so great I can almost taste it.

9) Roses. Not rose-scented things, but real, freshly cut roses.

8) Cinnabon at the mall. I love the smell, but never eat them, mainly because of that icky cream cheese frosting.

7) The smell of ice. You know what I mean, that frosty icey smell like a freezer that needs to be de-frosted.

6) Fire. Not destructive fire, more like the smell when you gather around a really great fire and later you can smell it on your clothes. Yum.

5) Freshly cut grass. It is a distinct, beautiful smell. It has to be just mowed!

4) Eucalyptus oil. That usually means I am getting a massage. It's a beautiful thing.

3) Cotton candy being spun. What a great smell. That sweet, sugary, airy smell. Even if you don't eat it, smelling it is just as great.

2) I adore the smell of coffee, any coffee, anywhere. Drinking it, well that is another story. :)

1) Home. There is a smell that is like no other, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I always love the smell of walking into our home.

I will spare you the list of smells that I don't love. With 7 kids, a hubby, and of course me...there are plenty around here! ;)

Tune back in later for other favorite things! And take a minute to tell me what your favorite smells are! :)

My housekeeping duties are calling.

Sincerely, the maid.

5 comments:

bunchofbull-ers! said...

Okay, I was agreeing with everyone of them until you got to ICE! I know the smell you are talking about, just not one of my favs!
Now that we are in Tennessee I smell more fresh cut grass than I ever had before. And fire too. Yup, BillyBob behind us burns his trash. SO we smell fire ALOT! And for the rain, Arizona just has a distinct rain smell. The rain smell here isn't the same. Maybe because it's mixed with horse & cow manure, lots more grass, and BillyBob's trash! Ugh. :o)

April said...

Your husband mops?

Becky, how can you not like cheese or cinnabon frosting? The frosting is the essence of the cinnabon.

I love the smell of fresh baked cookies and bread (reminds me of my Grandma's kitchen), chocolate cake, bacon and eggs, waffle cones (they never taste as good either), my satsuma body lotion from The Body Shop, babies, clean sheets, my husband, christmas trees, pine sol (I could drink that stuff it smells so good), puppy breath, sunscreen mixed with chlorine, and the airport.

chandy said...

The tire store...Disneyland...a good glass of wine...orange blossoms...baby shampoo...

I found your blog from April's, by the way, which I found from Jessica's... Hope you don't mind me stopping by!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Wet pavement? Is THAT what I associate with the smell of rain? I might need to google that to learn more...

And really April - the airport? Ew.

I think I have an over-sensitive nose because I went through your lists mostly thinking, "Ew." Outside of the smell of food, I don't like anything with an odor, good or bad. Except, apparently, the smell of wet pavement...

Happy Mommy said...

Fresh baked-cake, bread,muffins,cookies, I think you are seeing a theme here.
I love the smell of the dew on the grass first thing in the morning.
Favorite smell Baby. I could drink it up! Maybe thats why I want one so bad, my baby is almost 3 she doesn't have that smell any more.